Thursday, October 1, 2009

Triangles



Of all the shapes in that mobile
that twirled
above my crib;

of all the wooden shapes
I used to play with
as a kid, I'll admit

that triangles were my favorite,
I dreamed of them;
I drew them.

Geometry
would not have been the same
without them:

Isosceles triangles,
equilateral, scalene meant more to me
than smoking dope or even... necking.

Right triangle, acute, obtuse. Even I
began to think my screws
were loose. Without the Shrink

who helped me tighten them,
I'd still be living a triangular
obsession.

c. Douglas Fireman


By the way, how many triangles
do you see in this photo?

4 comments:

  1. More triangles than I want to attempt to count. Love your narrative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting site! To answer your question: I see 4 complete triangles. However, if you take the borders of this picture into consideration, you can add a few more. Bottomline: Number of triangles lies in the eyes of the beholder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome poem Doug. If I looked at it long enough I am sure I couls see many triangles. In the folds of the towel, in the shadows, in the basket weaving... etc.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many thanks, Swallowcliffs.

    Hi Yours Faithfully. I'm pleased
    that you like my site.
    Thanks for your comment.

    Kelly, so nice of you to drop by.
    Glad you liked my poem. Thanks mucho.
    October 3, 2009 7:36 PM

    ReplyDelete